Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Birthday Cards

July is a busy month for birthdays in our family and with our friends. I'm working on birthday cards for my nephew and great nephew. So far, I've finished one for my nephew. I'm taking a class online with Marie Browning again, this time using Irojitin Pencils on My Creative Classroom. Marie showed us how to transfer photographs to paper in order to enhance them with pencils. I had a photo of a Monarch butterfly from my butterfly bushes and decided to use this. I traced the butterfly and vague outlines of the flowers. I used Irojiten pencils for the colors, scumbling the background using colors from the flowers and butterfly and some pale lavenders., The black is inked in with Sakura Pigma Micron 01 and 05pens. I used a Martha Stewart punch for the double layered leaf embellishment and a Hero Arts stamp for the "happy birthday." The stamp got a little messy, but I cleaned most of it up with a sepia micron 01 pen. The scan of the card doesn't show the flowers well due to the paleness of them, but I like the contrast. I can draw basic things, but I'm not up to drawing this butterfly free-handed, so, thanks, Marie for showing us how to transfer our own photos to projects like these.

No comments: