Sunday, January 20, 2013

Zentangle!

For the past year or so, I've been fascinated by a meditative art form called Zentangle. I've purchased several workbooks on the subject and have been trying to learn this on my own. I was really happy to find out that there are teachers within an hour to an hour & a half's drive of my home. I've signed up for a class next Sunday afternoon and can hardly wait. The idea is to draw repeated patterns, taking one's time, to relax and ease tension. I've been concentrating on a book, called One Zentangle A Day, by Beckah Krahula. I've been keeping a ringed set of note cards and am now branching out to watercolor paper.
My life has been extremely stressful this past few months. I've had to move my classroom at school due to a new building being completed. I have a beautiful new classroom now, but my back is still paying for the lifting and carrying. My family lost my father on January 10th after a prolonged illness. I've been in a fog a lot of the time and rely on my Zentangle to keep my mind going and to feel that I'm accomplishing something other than going to work, or sitting in front of the TV.  I'd love to learn enough to eventually do my own illustrations for my writing or to someday teach others, but for now, I'd settle on just doing this well.

No comments: