Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Project on Wolf



I have my first project on my new loom warped. I did have to make a few adjustments, but this time the warping went smoother than during my lessons. I'm having to adjust the lighting to see correctly through the harnesses. A stool of the correct height is essential for this. I'm also learning to loosen the metal braces on the harnesses before starting to warp as the pattern played havoc with my carefully proportioned eyelets once I'd started. I'm still waiting on my boat shuttles, one from ebay and another from WEBS. But, since the scarf I chose to start with is narrow, my impatience won out and I pulled a flat shuttle from my rigid heddle tool drawer and started with it. It's not as smooth weaving as the boat shuttles will be, but is sufficing, and I'm delighted with the results. My selvedges, although not perfect, are getting much better. I'm only using four of the eight shafts, but until my feet get a little wetter, these simpler patterns will be a good learning experience. I'm using the pattern for the huck lace scarf on page 62 of the May/June 2011 issue of Handwoven Magazine, a purple 3/2 thread for warp and Fibranatura Cobblestone 100% superwash merino wool yarn (#304 Bourbon Street) to weave.

No comments: