Saturday, January 29, 2011

Entrelac Joy


I started on an entrelac project a few blogposts ago. I got through the first row of triangles just fine, then lost it on the second row. I couldn't follow the directions well enough; apparently, they were meant for someone who had done this before. I decided to back up, put the project on hold and try to use a more forgiving (i.e., bulkier) yarn, Universal Deluxe Chunky Long Print in Elegant Baby, and size 9 knitting needles. I also purchased the book, Entrelac, by Rosemary Drysdale. This book was given excellent reviews on Amazon and I wholeheartedly concur. I'm not on my fourth row and can hardly put it down. The book shows step-by-step directions as well as very well explained directions. It also has loads of patterns for various entrelac designs/variations on this theme. Once I'm finished with the present piece, I'll go back and pick up the Limerick yarn to complete the wrap I started. For right now, however, I'm enjoying that wonderful feeling of finally accomplishing a a skill I wasn't sure I'd be able to grasp. Also knitting while enjoying the second book of A Game of Thrones on my iPod is even better. Henry and I are so entranced in these books, we can hardly put them down. He's ahead a book, but I'm closing in fast. We're hoping to read these (all) before the show starts. So two recommended books today, Entrelac and A Game of Thrones - best when enjoyed together.

No comments: