Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Weaver's Idea Book


I got my new book on rigid heddle weaving last week, and it is everything that was promised. The full title is the weaver's idea book: creative cloth on a rigid heddle loom. I love the pictures and layout of this book by Jane Patrick. The chapters include: 1. There's Nothing Plain about Plain Weave; 2. Finger-Controlled Weaves; 3. Pick-Up on the Rigid Heddle Loom; 4. Weft- and Warp-Faced Fabrics; and 5. More is More with Two Heddles. Each section features projects which include pictured demonstrations as well as warping charts and very clear written instructions. I've started using the plain weave chapter to explore color and weave patterns. I'm using Sample 6 on page 25: warping with two colors in Fibra Natura's Flax in gold and black. I'm thrilled with the results so far. I did figure wpi before I started, which called for a 10- or 12-dent heddle, but will have to wait for Hanukkah Harry for a smaller gauge heddle. Still, even with an 8-dent heddle, the flax is weaving very nicely. Thanks so much Jane for such a great book.

No comments: