Saturday, May 15, 2010

Finding Nature


I've been watering my plants a lot lately with our higher temperatures and no rain. Tonight, I got a nice surprise when the water hit one of the tall Arborvitae bordering our yard. I've seen smaller white moths flying out of there many times, but tonight a huge brown moth came out, landed on the ground and was kind enough to remain until I ran inside to grab my camera. The two best pictures I took were still not perfectly clear since it continued to move its wings while I was snapping shots. Also, we don't water until well after dinner when the sun isn't beating down. I will try to add a footnote later when I can track down the species. I'm guessing it was about four to five inches across, but I knew better than to press my luck by pulling out a measuring tape.

No comments: