Thursday, February 4, 2010

Website Woes

I'm still working on the new website, The Irresistible Ewe. HOWEVER, I've realized that there is a glitch in the ordering process. I apologize profusely if any of you have been the site and have attempted to make a purchase. I'm having difficulty with the gateway at the moment and hope to have this cleared up this afternoon. This is very frustrating to me as the owner, since my main goal with this site is to provide good quality materials at a reasonable price and including great service. I am working on this with my gateway server.
In case anyone is thinking of opening an online store of any kind, good luck to you. Make sure you understand the ins and outs of the process first. It can be a little overwhelming at first. You can opt to go with a pre-packaged deal like Google Checkout or work through a site such as Go Daddy and use all of their services. In any case, you will need a gateway service which will process the credit cards coming in, filtering and checking them before the payments make it to the bank. You will also need a shopping cart service to handle the actual orders coming through. They tie in with the gateway servers. I have found an easy shopping cart service (a-SecureCart). With a little tweaking, thanks to my computer genius friend, Alan, I have the shopping cart working great. It can be tedious at times to create the html for each item going on the site, but it has become routine and not a problem.
The most important part of opening an online store is to have a great bank to work with. My banker is wonderful and has time to see me each time I come in about the new business, even staying after hours one day to help. She has been in contact with my gateway company to get this problem ironed out.
Again, thank you for your patience with my website. I have great sales going on now for February (once this bug is fixed). Stay tuned...

No comments: