Sunday, February 28, 2010

Apple Orchard Scarf


I'm working on a new scarf based on a design by my mother. I was fascinated by the one she was working on. She was alternating several rows of pearl with several rows of knitting stitches. The result was an undulating ribbon of wool. I thought it might be fun to try with one of the Long Print yarns. I'm using Universal's Deluxe Chunky, 100% Wool in the Apple Orchard Colorway. The colors work out very nicely with this pattern. I'm still knitting the scarf and will post the finished piece later. I also plan to steam block the scarf lightly so it will stretch out just a little, but will leave some of the undulating pattern. Here's the pattern. I'll also post it on The Irresistible Ewe site where you can order the yarn. I'm using Size 9, 16-inch Takumi Velvet Bamboo Needles, also available on the website.

Apple Orchard Scarf
Materials:
16-inch, Size 9 Circular Takumi Velvet Bamboo Knitting Needles
1 skein (or two if you want your scarf longer) Universal Deluxe Chunky (Apple Orchard)

Directions:
Cast on 20 stitches.
Rows 1-4: Knit all stitches (Garter Stitch)
Rows 5, 7, 9, 11: Knit all
Rows 6, 8, 10, 12: K 4 , P 12, K 4.
Rows 13, 15, 17, 19: K 4, P 12, K 4
Rows 14, 16, 18, 20: Knit all.
Repeat from Row 5 - 20 until scarf is as long as you wish it to be.
Knit all stitches for 4 additional rows (Garter Stitch).
Bind off loosely with knit stitches.
I like to start with garter stitch and to end with it because it eliminates curling.

No comments: