Saturday, January 2, 2010

Basket Weave Scarf Pattern


I posted a pattern of mine this morning on ravelry.com. I'm still working on the scarf, but I've made it before and can write out the pattern now. I'm using Universal Yarn Deluxe Chunky 100% Wool in an off-white and size 10, 16-inch circular needles. It's coming along very pretty. One thing to note is that while you're working on a section, it may look like you're getting gaps between sections. These will fix themselves when you change patterns. The pattern is repeated every six rows. Here is a do-as-I-say and not-as-I-do part: Pay attention. I tend to knit while watching tv with Henry. A few times, I've had to frog back because I got carried away and knitted too many rows the same. Have fun with this. It's an easy pattern that you'll be able to do without directions after a two sections. Keep in mind, also, that the photo shows my work in progress. It has not been blocked.

CO 24 stitches using the long-tail cast-on. Garter stitch for 4 rows.
Basket Weave pattern:
Rows 1-6: K4, K4, P4, K4, P4, K4
Rows 7-12: K4, P4, K4, P4, K4, K4
Repeat these 12 rows until the scarf is as long as you like. With the basketweave, when you turn the scarf, you’ll continue to knit the same sequence and it will work out until you have the correct number of rows and you need to switch. Just pay attention to the number of rows you’re knitting so that you don’t get carried away and have to frog back.
When your scarf is as long as you like, do another 4 rows of garter stitch and bind off loosely.

No comments: