Monday, November 23, 2009

Loom Knitting Socks


I finished my first sock using the small, blue Knifty Knitter loom and Isela Phelps' book, Loom Knitting Socks. It was a lot of fun and the sock that I finished wears like a glove. I tried the easiest one to start with, Socks 101, with Lion Brand's Wool Ease Thick-&-Quick. The cuff is done in a simple 2x2 rib stitch. The heel and toe are done exactly alike, which makes it very easy. The instructions are clear, but I think it did help having some knowledge of sock construction. I finished the entire sock in aobut a day. I've enjoyed this so much, I've ordered one of Isela's fine gauge sock looms to try some smaller sock yarn. I even managed to Kitchener stitch the toe together. But, and here's where years of teaching exceptional children comes in, I'm going to go back and highlight certain words in the instructions. Once you get past the first two steps in the Kitchener, or graphing the toes, it boils down to: Front/Knit/Off, Front/Purl/Leave On, Back/Purl/Off, Back/Knit/Leave On. This continues until the last stitch when you pull the yarn through the last stitch and weave in the ends. After a few minutes, this becomes kind of a mantra. I may even go back and write these simple instructions in the margins. When it comes to knitting socks, simple is much better than complicated.
The book uses the smaller looms which Isela and her husband sell for the rest of the patterns in the book. I do wish that they had included more patterns for the Knifty Knitter loom, but there are patterns on the internet for this. My other wish is that Provo Craft would develop a sock loom. I may be able to adapt one of their smaller rectangular looms with the loom clips, but they still wouldn't have as many pegs as the DA Looms provide.

No comments: