Friday, October 9, 2009

Broom Making 101 Part I


Well, my favorite holiday is fast approaching. I was afraid being too busy with school work and fatigue would keep me from getting back to podcasting, but I have managed to film one episode so far. I decided to start with a video podcast of broom making, specifically, making a Cobweb Catcher broom. I just can't seem to get those short little video podcasts like some other crafters. I'm always afraid I'll leave out a step; hence, four parts to this one. I did manage to get a couple of steps out of order. It's been a few years since I've made a broom and the steps were a little slow coming back. I will note here that you need to not cut the cord after doing the first three rounds of waxed linen and sewing through the broom stalks and around. Leave the long tail and begin weaving under and over the stalks at this point. This will make it easier in the long run. You'll still leave a long piece at the end of the weaving to attach whatever embellishments you'd like to include.
To do the top, or bristles part of the broom, just wind the waxed linen around three times, pull tight and tie it off. You'll continue around like I show in the video to stitch it and end the stitching. I hope this isn't too confusing. You can do exactly like I did in the video, and the broom will come out lovely. I just felt guilty afterwards for inverting a couple of steps. Happy broom making and Halloween. Please send any questions; I'll be more than happy to answer.
The videos will be posted on youtube under Kathryn Jacoby and on www.craftwrite.podbean.com.

No comments: