Saturday, July 18, 2009

Santa in July


I had a ball today learning a new craft, needle felting. I made the trip to the Tail-Spinner Yarn Shop in Richlands, NC and had the chance to learn to do a Santa head ornament with their resident needle-felting artist, Melissa. She makes it so easy to follow along and gives great advice on shaping and using dyed wool to color an object. Melissa's award-winning felted items are never painted; they're made by adding already dyed wools in various shades. Her work is amazing to see. I've already displayed some of her work on an earlier blog, but if you missed it, here's the link. I kept glancing at my Santa on the way home, wondering that I actually made this and in such a short time. Melissa is offering a more advanced class this fall, so if you are interested, please see their website: http://www.tail-spinner.com/ and register. She will also be teaching this class at the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair in October. Highly recommended.

No comments: