Sunday, February 22, 2009

Yah! Like, Fer Shur!

The generation gap has opened up and swallowed me whole. I grew up in a time when good grammar skills were admired and something to work toward. It was a sign to others that you were well-educated. As a born Southerner, this was especially important to me, as we are often portrayed to the rest of the world, through the media, as ignorant half-wits.
I started listening to one of my favorite craft podcasts this morning. The hostess was interviewing another young lady who is writing a book. I couldn't tell you now what it was about because I found myself distracted by their speech patterns. I find it interesting that the "Valley Girl" speech comes at me on these podcasts from almost every younger person, no matter which section of the country she/he is from. Do they realize that Frank Zappa made this speech pattern famous on a song called 'Valley Girl' as a way to make fun of the way the young girls in the San Fernando Valley spoke? Do they know who Frank Zappa was?
Every other line this morning was "Yahhh, like fer shur...." I found myself so distracted by this after a while, that I 'totally' lost the gist of the show. Would I go back and listen again? No. I'll just let it play out and delete it when I update the iPod - fer shur!

No comments: