Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Practically Knotless Netting


I talked about knotless netting on gourds today on my podcast, but once I started, I realized I should have had the directions in front of me. I promised to share on my blog, so I hope this helps those who would like to try this technique.

1. Cut a piece of waxed linen about 2 yards long (I find 2-yard lengths to be easy to work with. If you run out of thread, tie another piece on and keep going). Begin attaching the palm inflorescence using the holes you have made. Attach using a simple over and under stitch or blanket stitch, leaving some ends hanging for effect if desired.

2. Tie one end of a new piece of waxed linen to a place on the top row of inflorescence.

3. Allow some length of the waxed linen to hang down from this knot. Loop the other end around the inflorescence and back out, careful to come out over the left side (See illustration 1). Continue to do this all the way around the gourd; do not pull wax linen tight as you need some loop to do the next row.

4. On the next row around, continue the same stitch but going into the loops you made on the first row. Continue to do this for the rest of the gourd, allowing for changes below to add interest:

5. To make holes in the weaving: Instead of going around one stitch in each loop, skip several loops leaving enough waxed linen to make a space - do not pull tight. (See illustration 2)

6. When you come back to this space on the next go-around make more than one loop on this one long one. Use your judgement!

7. I try to make spaces around the leaf stencils so that it appears that you are looking through the net at them. They can also be partially covered for effect.

8. Bottom: Continue to go around and around the gourd until your circle comes together on the bottom. Tie off your waxed linen. Enjoy your work!

I also promised to show my method of treating my wool once spun. It tends to be too curly if you don't dampen and stretch it out. This is how I do it: Wrap yarn around the legs of a footstool. Tie off in four places with old scraps of badly spun wool. (And you just threw yours away, didn't you?) Wet skein, then gently squeeze out excess water. Hang from wire rack suspended over deep Rubbermaid container with metal clips which clip through ties. This whole contraption is placed in my attic where it dries pretty quickly. The yarn will stretch and uncurl and will be ready for knitting.


No comments: