Monday, August 18, 2008

Dropped Stitches in Basketweave Knitting


I've been knitting a basketweave scarf and after a few sections of alternating knit and purl, I've discovered I dropped a purl stitch. OOPS! I can pick up stitches if the knitting is all the same using a crochet hook to refasten the stitches, but what about this situation? If you're a knitter and have come across this dilemma, how about giving me a note with some advice. I'm including a picture of the culprit. Sorry, but my camera doesn't do closeup's very well. Here's the pattern I threw together for the scarf:
Lion Brand Landscapes yarn (Autumn Trails) (I think I'm going to end up using 6 skeins). I couldn't find this yarn at Michael's, but JoAnn's Fabrics has it for $5.99 per skein.
Gauge so far: 1 skein makes about 13 inches - I'm getting 4 knit stitches per inch.
Needles: Size 13, 16" circular
1. Garter stitch (knit both WS and RS) for four rows.
2. K 2, K4, P4, K4, P4, K4, K2
3. K2, P4, K4, P4, K4, P4, K2
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 three times each, alternating Step 2, Step 3, Step 2, Step 3, etc. to make each section 6 rows long for each section. On the next row, in order to start an alternating section, where you knitted before, you will purl (except the first and last two stitches which are always knitted) and where you purled before, this time you will knit.
5. Continue in this way until the scarf is as long as you want it to be. (I'm still knitting and am on my 3rd skein so far so I can't give you the final results so far).
6. I plan to do the final four rows of garter stitch as in Step 1 to finish.
I'm not sure about a fringe, probably not. This is going to go with a beret I knitted from a pattern of Crazy Aunt Purl's. It came out a little large, but I think this winter when I'm standing outside doing car duty at school, the 50% wool will be nice and warm.
If this isn't clear, please let me know. Today was my first day back to work after my summer break and I'm beat. Feel free to download and try this pattern. It's just typical basketweave.
I've started practicing crochet again. I used to be able to do this years ago. I started with some Lion Brand Thick and Chunky in some colors I decided weren't colors I should have selected. My first attempt at a cat blanket is shaped similar to the state of Arkansas. I think it's because I have a really bad habit of not reading directions carefully before plowing into a project and didn't chain enough when turning at the end of the row. Fortunately, cats aren't too critical of color or shape when it comes to crocheted blankets; they judge by sleepability. Bunkai has put his seal of approval and a lot of his hair on the two blankets I've made. Willow will have nothing to do with either, probably because she prefers lighter weight types which she can crawl under even in the midst of summer. But I am determined to get this craft down to the point of being able to teach this to my knitting students at school this year, just to add to their interest. Plus, it helps to know something about using a crochet hook when you drop stitches like I have. Stay tuned for further crochet progress and I look forward to your advice on the dropped stitches.

No comments: