Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fantasy Novel Workshop


I attended a Fantasy Novel Writing Workshop yesterday in Asheville, NC with author K.G. McAbee. This was hosted by Karen Ackerson, Exec. Director of The Writers' Workshop. This was a very informal, relaxed workshop with all participants coming together to discuss sci-fi/fantasy and our interests in learning to be better writers of the genre. Gail McAbee was very well-prepared with helpful hand-outs from where to find good character names to suggestions for finding publishers and contests. She listened to our excerpts and gave suggestions as to character development and ways to tighten up the flow of the manuscripts. There was a great sense of give-and-take between all of us and I came away with good direction from not only Gail, but also the other writers. Gail and her husband Jerry live in Spartanburg, S.C. with their myriad of animals. It was fun to talk to other persons who are also sci-fi/fantasy geeks. This is not a genre often understood by other writers who concentrate on just fiction, so this was a real treat for me. Gail is extremely well-read in this genre in which she has been published as well as in others. She is published across many different genres, including graphic novels and historical writing. This was just the kick-in-the-pants I needed. My summer is flying by (well, I have been on excusions for about two weeks now) and I need to get serious on the writing path again. Thanks so much, Gail for the workshop and Jerry (for picking up lunch for us). I look forward to talking with you again soon.

1 comment:

C.R. Evers said...

I'm glad you had such a good time. I really wanted to go, but it didn't work out. I know Gail does other workshops, maybe I'll get to go to one in the future!

Christy