Wednesday, May 28, 2008

New Project: Dragon Gourd



I've started a new gourd project. I have the design in my head, but I haven't picked out the gourd parts yet. So far, I've been working on the central character, who is a small dragon. He's not finished yet, but I'm going to share him with you anyway. I'm using Christi Friesen's book called, Tips, Techniques, Inspirational Ramblings, Creative Nudgings and Step-By-Step Instructions to Help You Create dragons. This is another of her wonderful series in using polymer clay to create whimsical creatures. I'm trying to look through quickly, get ideas, then go off in my own direction, but he is heavily influenced by this book. Ms. Friesen has a nice way of instructing, full of humor, fun and tongue-in-cheek look at creating polymer clay sculptures. I own a few of her books now and would eventually like to get the rest. She has great bios at the end of each book, all different. You can find these through mail-order, i.e., amazon.com. They're a great addition to any polymer clay library. So without further ado, here's Blueberry. He's made with Sculpey III in these colors: blue, navy blue, tan, gold, and brilliant ivory. There's no rhyme nor reason to the blending of the clays, just pull some off or cut a strip, layer and shove it into the pasta maker. I'm still finishing his spikes and his face and plan to redo his neck ruffs. He'll be making future appearances.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I love the dragon, Kathy! Very cool!

C.R. Evers said...

Wow! cool! You're so talented!

Christy