Thursday, April 17, 2008

Frances O'Roark Dowell

Frances O'Roark Dowell highlighted our Goalies writers' group last Sunday at Quail Ridge Books & Music in Raleigh, NC. She was very gracious with her time and talked very frankly about writing, it's challenges, using voice when writing, and also about the characters in her books. She is the author of Dovey Coe, Chicken Boy, Where I'd Like to Be, the Phineas L. MacGuire series, The Secret Language of Girls and Shooting the Moon. If you have not read any of her work, you're missing out. I recently finished Chicken Boy. The voice in the characters of this book are strong and believable. I was easily able to identify character types in children and families I've worked with over the years in education. I look forward to reading my autographed copy of Dovey Coe. I tend to read and write mostly fantasy, so when an author of fiction compels me to buy and read everything she/he has written, it speaks very highly of her/his work. Thank you Frances for speaking at our schmooze and thank you to all of our guests. We loved meeting all of you. I am always very recharged whenever our Goalies group gets together and Sunday brought it home to me again as to how lucky I am right now to belong to such a supportive writing/critique group.

2 comments:

karen lee said...

Great post Kathy! I love the new look to your blog!

Karen

Janelle said...

Great Pics, Kathy! - Janelle