Monday, December 24, 2007

The Snuggles Project



I've added two new links to this blog: Hugs For Homeless Animals and The Snuggles Project. H4HA is a wonderful website with information about helping shelter animals find homes. They have a national listing as well as tips for pet owners. I found the Snuggles Project through the Lion Brand (makers of yarn) newsletter. It's a perfect project for my Knitting Club at school. Most of them finished their caps for the chemo lab and I've been able to scrape a few dollars from selling Christmas bows at work, so that I could buy extra yarn for our new project. We'll be knitting small blankets for the foster animals through the Wayne County Humane Society. I've already spoken to one of the canine foster parents who said she would gladly take them. I'm planning to ask one of the members to visit our club meeting in February to talk to the students about the Humane Society and pick up the blankets at the same time. I think this will have more impact on the students to actually connect a face with where their projects will go. About half of the club went to the cancer clinic with me this month to give their knitted caps and they were met with a very warm reception.
According to the Snuggles Project the blankets serve to not only keep the animals warmer by giving them a cushion between themselves and their cages/floor, but it also provides them with some comfort. This in turn quiets the animal, removing tension and making them more easy going and thus more likely to be adopted. It should also make the cage itself more inviting and presentable. And, after all, when you're trying to adopt an animal, you're essentially selling that animal's personality to a potential family. It's marketing whether we like it or not. I'm excited about this project. I've started knitting a blanket myself over the holidays in order to gauge how much yarn to give the students. I'm using my large yellow Knifty Knitter Loom with two skeins of Red Heart Super Saver yarn, both skeins knitted as one. Most of my students have opted to learn on looms. Using two strands makes it more cushiony. The acrylic yarn is better for washing. So far, it's knitting up very well and is producing a sizable blanket for a small dog or cat. I'm shooting for February to have these done (in time for Valentine's Day). You can find patterns for Snuggles blankets on the website for the Snuggles Project (below). Please check out these sites and get involved.

1 comment:

C.R. Evers said...

What a neat project! Both of my dogs started out as homeless strays, so rescue work has a special place in my heart. Both of my dogs are so sweet and lovable, I'm sure a lot of it is due to the special people who took care of them.