Friday, December 28, 2007

Crazy Aunt Purl

In working so hard at trying to write for children, and teaching middle school reading, I tend to mostly read children's or young adult books. I was given a gift card for Barnes & Noble for Hanukkah this year, so of course I ended up in the craft section on a trip to South Points in Durham. I found a wonderful book (actually one for grown-ups!) that is so hilarious that I'm writing to recommend it even before I've finished it. It's a novel called, Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair, the True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split. I have been so absorbed in reading this, that I just now noticed that it has great patterns and pictures in the back of the book. The title is self-explanatory, but I would add that I enjoyed and identified a little too much at times with the Southern humor. For anyone trying to write a humorous novel, this is a must read. This is such a break to all of the sob stories of how knitting has saved everyone's life. Maybe I'm too cynical, but I believe in the saying of Mary Englebreit, "Snap Out of It!" Sure, life is hard. Wallowing in self-pity (and Cabernet) can be enjoyable for short periods, but as the author, Laurie Perry, shows, finding an outlet,in this case knitting, can open up new lifestyles and purpose. She also has a blog which is entertaining, http://crazyauntpurl.com/. You can get a sense of her writing style and humor by reading her blog, or better yet, buy the book. Sorry, but I need to go read!

No comments: