Friday, November 9, 2007

Chemo Caps

The Knitting Club that I sponsor at school has grown again. I'm not sure how this keeps happening. A teacher sent a new student to the club meeting, another child who is also in my One-Stroke Painting Club wanted to add the Knitting Club, etc., etc. All of a sudden, I have thirty-four students in there at once:) They're such a great group of students, I can't say no. I'm the only sponsor, so it keeps me running the entire forty-five minutes. We had enough club money to buy yarn last month, so we're knitting chemo caps for our hospital's cancer floor. I'm in contact with a nurse from that floor who's arranging a hospital tour. I think it will mean even more to the students (6th, 7th, and 8th grades) to be able to deliver them themselves. I don't know why, but it does not bother me to have a large group of kids talking and laughing for a whole period when they're doing crafts, but four to six students not paying attention in a resource class does. I guess because what the larger group is doing is creative and so inspiring. I've had kids who have given me hats they have knitted from their own yarn to donate. One child gave me a bag full of hats. It is so wonderful to see this coming from children. I'll post more news later.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! My husband and I lived in NC for a few years many years ago and my oldest son was born there. Your craft sessions at school sound like a lot of fun, especially for the students!